German lentil and sausage soup. The perfect dish on a cold winter night! Curl up in front of the fireplace with a bowl of this soup & a thick slice of garlic bread, heaven!
Health Benefits of Lentils
Lentils have been a staple in our diet since my father was diagnosed with high cholesterol back in 1987. Members of the legume family, lentils are rich in fiber, folate, and potassium, which makes them a smart choice for heart health and managing blood pressure. They are also loaded with B vitamins, zinc, and magnesium. If you like to learn more about these small, but mighty legumes, healthline.com has an excellent article.
More Yummy Soup Recipes
German Lentil and Sausage Soup Recipe
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced, or lil smokies
- 1 onion, finely chopped, or onion powder
- 2 ribs celery, sliced, or celery salt
- 3 small or medium carrots, sliced or shredded
- 2 15oz cans or 1 quart diced tomatoes
- 1 large potato, peeled & diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Rinse & drain lentils.
- Bring lentils, broth, sausage, & seasoning to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer, covered, for an hour.
- Add veggies. Continue cooking until potatoes are cooked through.
- Stir in vinegar.