To me, soup is pretty much the perfect food. In fact, I can eat it so often, I’ve had friends call me a soupaholoic. On a cold, gray day like today, Loaded Baked Potato Soup for supper is nirvana!
Standing in my kitchen just now, I went to pull up the recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup and it wasn’t there. How can this be? Have I never shared this recipe on the blog? This is a travesty that must be rectified at once! I quickly headed to the pantry and pulled out my cookbook. (If you click on the link, you will see that it literally is my cookbook!)
For more of my delicious soup recipes, visit the soup category page.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced (optional garnish)
- Scrub potatoes and prick each with a fork several times. Bake according to your preferred method, ie oven, microwave, instant pot, or crockpot. Allow to cool.
- Melt butter in stock pot. Whisk in flour until well blended and smooth. Gradually add in milk, whisking constantly. Add onion powder. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Peel potatoes, leaving a bit of the peel behind on each potato. Chop or coarsely crumble by hand.
- When milk mixture has come to a low, gentle boil, remove from heat. Stir in potatoes & return to stove with the eye on lowest setting.
- Once the potatoes are heated through, stir in sour cream, bacon, & cheese. Heat through, but DO NOT BOIL.
- If desired, garnish each bowl with chopped green onion.