We had a rare summertime snow storm coupled with two days with highs in the mid 30s this week. Perfect soup weather! Our son requested Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup, so I came here to loreethedomesticdiva.com to look up the recipe and could not find it. How is it possible that I have never posted this decade old family favorite??? I am remedying that today!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup is loads of tender chicken in a rich, cheesy broth that is slightly thickened by the masa harina. It is a warm comfort food that is perfect for chilly days!
What Is Masa Harina?
Masa harina is a fine corn flour that is used to make corn tortillas and tamales. It is not cornmeal!
Masa harina is usually found in the Hispanic food aisle at your local grocery store. If your store does not carry it, you can order it from Amazon.
To avoid clumps, be sure to whisk the masa harina in two cups of water before whisking it into the soup. Should you forget and add all three cups of the water to the soup without whisking in the masa, do not panic and do not dump the masa straight into the soup! Simply ladle broth as free of chicken as possible into a bowl or large glass measuring cup. Whisk the masa harina into the broth and whisk the mixture back into the soup.
To save time, I usually use the bagged rotisserie chicken breast from Costco when making Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup. If you choose to use precooked chicken, you may want to reduce the amount of salt that you add or skip adding salt altogether and allow people to salt their bowl according to their preference.
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 1 lb shredded or chopped cooked chicken
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup masa harina
- 1-2 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 16 oz Velveeta, cubed
- tortilla strips
- diced tomato
- sour cream
- Place chicken broth, 1 cup water, garlic, and onion powder in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil on high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Whisk masa harina into 2 cups water until smooth & free of clumps. Whisk into simmering broth.
- Stir in chicken, enchilada sauce, salt, cumin, & chili powder. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add Velveeta to pot and stir until melted.
- Serve with garnishes, if desired.
Recipe & image found on Pinterest