2020 has been a stressful year for everyone. One positive, though, is people are spending more time with their families. For me, when I spend more time focused on my family, I cook. Cooking is a way that I show my love. It is also a way for me to relieve stress. When I get stressed, I bake. The last few weeks have been extremely stressful moving into our new house. My kitchen is finally set up – enter One Bowl Banana Bread!
One Bowl Banana Bread is such an easy recipe. And it is so good! A friend from church gave the recipe to me over 25 years ago and it has been my go to banana nut bread ever since. I have tried other recipes over the years, but none have been as good, or as easy, as this one!
Thanks to the ripe bananas, the texture of One Bowl Banana Bread is moist and slightly dense. It is not heavy or gummy.
Apple Banana Date Muffins are another yummy way to use up ripe bananas!
To mash bananas, I prefer to use a potato masher, but a fork works, as well.
For the nuts, I usually go with walnuts, but pecans are really good, too. If you like your banana bread really nutty, like I do, use a heaping 1/2 cup or even 3/4 cup of nuts.
One Bowl Banana Bread Recipe
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self rising flour
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt butter.
- While butter melts, spray loaf pan with cooking spray or Baker’s Joy.
- Once butter has melted, add the egg to the bowl and whisk.
- Place bananas in bowl and mash. Add vanilla.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend. It will seem a bit dry at first, but don’t worry. After a little stirring, it will moisten. Do not over mix, though!
- Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven & allow to cool 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan. Cover with bread towel to cool completely.