In mixing bowl:
3 cups warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon lecithin (Use powder or granules. The liquid is like goo.)
1/3 cup oil
1/3 cup honey
In a separate bowl, combine:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached bread flour
1 tablespoon dough enhancer
1 tablespoon wheat gluten
- Combine the flour mixture into the mixing bowl. Mix until mostly blended. I use the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
Combine 2 cups bread flour with 1 tablespoon salt.
- When the 10 minutes is up, add the flour & salt to the dough. Mix well & knead for 8 minutes. If the dough is too wet and sticking to the bowl while kneading, add a little more flour of your choice.
- Divide dough in half. Spread evenly in 2 loaf pans (I use stoneware.) that have been sprayed with cooking spray. (Helpful hint: Rub small amount of shortening on your hands. It will keep the dough from sticking to you.)
- Cover with bread towels. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Cover with bread towels. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from pans. I place the loaves on a breadboard. Cover with bread towel. Allow to cool.
Makes 2 loaves.
You can adjust the ratio of wheat flour to bread flour to your liking. My family prefers the softness of 1/2 wheat, 1/2 bread.