Personally, I was never a fan of fruit salad as a child. Thankfully, my mother only served it on Thanksgiving. Then, as an adult, I discovered Overnight Fruit Salad and my opinion changed! Yeah, I get it. Mom’s fruit salad was usually fresh fruit with maybe a few marshmallows thrown in and Overnight Fruit Salad is basically dessert made with canned fruit, pudding, and lots of marshmallows. But, hey, it’s still fruit.
No matter what time of year I make Overnight Fruit Salad, it’s always a hit. When I take it to a church dinner or make it for a holiday, being able to make it the day before rather than the morning of is a huge help!
More Fruit Dessert Recipes
Make Your Own Marshmallows
If you really want to take Overnight Fruit Salad to the next level, while impressing your family and guests, make your own marshmallows! My favorite recipe for homemade marshmallows is found on the Food Network.
Overnight Fruit Salad Recipe
- 8 oz can pineapple tidbits
- 11 oz can mandarin oranges
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 oz box cook & serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1 banana, sliced
- Drain pineapple & oranges, saving the juice from the cans.
- Place fruit in a large bowl. Cover & set in refrigerator.
- Place reserved juices, lemon juice, & water in a saucepan. Whisk in pudding mix. Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat & allow to cool.
- While pudding cools, place whipping cream & sugar in mixing bowl. Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. Cover & set in refrigerator.
- Once pudding has cooled, fold in pineapple, oranges, whipped cream, & marshmallows.
- Cover bowl & chill overnight. Fold in sliced banana right before serving.