Besides the delicious taste, one thing I love about Broccoli Cauliflower Gratin is it can be made into different dishes. You can make it as the name says and use both broccoli and cauliflower. Not a cauliflower fan? No problem! Leave out the cauliflower and make a broccoli gratin. Not in the mood for broccoli? Just use cauliflower for a cauliflower gratin. Want to up the healthiness? Add carrots and make it more of a California mixed vegetable gratin.
More Side Dish Recipes
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Yellow Squash Casserole
- Quick & Easy Corn Pudding
- Holiday Sweet Potato Soufflé
Save time by using vegetables that are already washed and cut up for you. For this recipe, you need roughly six cups of vegetables. That six cups can be of just one vegetable or combination of two or three.
If you want to take broccoli cauliflower gratin to the next level, substitute the 1 teaspoon of salt for a tablespoon of chicharron salt. You can thank me later! (Warning: chicharron salt does contain pork.)
Broccoli Cauliflower Gratin
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 3 stalks of broccoli
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 stick butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz of a mild cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Put a large pot of salted water on the stove on high.
- Turn oven to 375°F to preheat.
- While the water comes to a boil, rinse cauliflower & broccoli. Trim away stalks & cut florets into smaller bite sized pieces.
- Once the water boils, place vegetables in pot, reduce heat, & simmer for 5 minutes. Drain in colander when the 5 minutes is up.
- While the vegetables blanche, peel & mince garlic.
- Melt 1/2 stick butter in saucepan. Sauté garlic 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Whisk flour into garlic & butter. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil & cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Remove sauce from heat. Stir in salt, pepper, & cheeses.
- Place drained vegetables in a casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce evenly over top.
- Mix melted butter & Panko together. Sprinkle evenly over sauce.
- Place dish in the center of the oven. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until golden & bubbly.