With his birthday in late November, my oldest son’s birthday falls on Thanksgiving every few years and right around Thanksgiving most years. Growing up, this was a blessing in disguise because he usually had two favorite meals within days of each other. Just like me, one of his favorite meals is my traditional Thanksgiving menu. Even if his birthday was on Thanksgiving, I would never let it count as his birthday dinner. And I wouldn’t count the desserts as his birthday dessert, even if pumpkin cheesecake is his favorite.
Not being a fan of pumpkin pie means that it has never graced our Thanksgiving table. Pumpkin cheesecake, however, is a different story! The creamy denseness of cheesecake coupled with cinnamon, spicy goodness equals Thanksgiving nirvana.
Normally, I am not a fan of canned pumpkin. Pumpkin cheesecake, however, is the exception. A stringy fresh pumpkin stays stringy in cheesecake and, to me, it’s a real turn off. Added bonus: Using canned pumpkin saves time! In the rush of preparing Thanksgiving dinner, save time (and energy!) wherever it makes sense. Using canned pumpkin in pumpkin cheesecake is definitely a corner that can be cut without affecting the outcome or taste.
More Thanksgiving Recipes
Pumpkin Cheesecake Recipe
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a cookie sheet or pizza pan with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, stir melted butter into graham cracker crumbs. Press into the bottom of a 9″ springform pan. Place on foil lined pan & set aside.
- Place cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, pumpkin, nutmeg, & cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Pour mixture over prepared crust.
- Place pan in center of oven & bake for 55 minutes or until set.
- Run a dull dinner knife around edge of springform pan before loosening.
- Serve chilled with whipped cream, if desired.