If you are looking for a superb traditional American pecan pie recipe, look no further! My mother found this recipe in an old Betty Crocker cookbook decades ago and it’s been part of our family holiday traditions ever since.
More Yummy Pecan Recipes
- Italian Cream Cake
- Oatmeal Coconut Pecan Date Cookies
- Oatmeal Pecan Waffles
- Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
The original recipe calls for one cup of pecans, but when I want pecan pie, I want pecans to be front and center, not an after thought. To me, using one cup of these tasty nuts just isn’t enough, so I’ve always used two cups.
A key component to a good pie is the crust. No matter how good the filling is, if people are scraping it out of the crust, the pie is a failure and no longer a pie. Yes, I am including a recipe for a homemade crust below, but please don’t feel that you have to make the crust from scratch if time is an issue or making a crust from scratch just isn’t in your wheelhouse. There are some very good ready made crusts in the freezer section of your local grocery store!
If you are making your own crust from scratch and using shortening, I highly recommend using Crisco! Store brand shortening will give the crust a subpar taste and texture.
Let’s be honest, measuring shortening out of a can can be messy and difficult to clean up. Personally, I use Crisco Baking Sticks because it’s easier and there’s no mess to clean up. On the rare occasion that I have a can of Crisco rather than sticks, using Pampered Chef’s Measure-All because it eliminates the messy cleanup! (I also use it to measure peanut butter!)
Traditional American Pecan Pie Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- dash of salt
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 cups pecans
- single pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs with a whisk or fork.
- Add sugar & salt. Stir until dissolved.
- Stir in corn syrup & butter. Mix well.
- Stir in pecans.
- Place unbaked pie crust on a baking pan. Pour pecan mixture into pie shell. Place a pie ring over crust or loosely tent edges with strips of foil.
- Place pie in oven & bake for 25 minutes. Remove pie ring or foil & bake for 25 more minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean & pie edges are golden.
Pie Crust Recipe
This recipe makes two 9″ crusts. If you are making a single pie, cut the ingredients in half.
- 3 cups all purpose flour or 1 1/2 cups for a single crust
- 1 1/2 cups Crisco shortening or 3/4 cup for a single crust
- 1 tablespoon sugar or 1/2 tablespoon for a single crust
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or 1/8 teaspoon for a single crust
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or 1/2 teaspoon for a single crust
- 1/2 very cold water or 1/4 cup for a single crust
- Mix flour, sugar, & salt together in a large bowl. Cut Crisco in with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly.
- Add water & vinegar & mix well.
- Dust clean counter or pastry mat with flour. Divide dough in half if making two crusts. Roll dough out with a rolling pin to about a 10″ circle.
- Place crust in 9″ pie pan. Crimp edges. Fill or bake according to pie recipe instructions.