With Covid 19 keeping people at home, many are learning or returning to baking bread. I am one that is returning.
For years, I baked fresh bread either daily or a couple of times a week, depending on how many people were living with us. When our sons moved out, our niece moved out, and a friend that needed a place to stay moved out, we downsized and baking bread fell by the wayside.
Then came the coronavirus. This is a stressful time for our city, our state, our country, and our world. With stress comes a longing for a return to a less stressful time and comfort food. What is more comforting than the smell of bread baking in your oven and slathering a thick, still warm slice with butter?
This is a repost of the softest, best tasting bread recipe!
The Best Wheat Bread Recipe
In mixing bowl:
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon lecithin (Use powder or granules. The liquid is like goo.)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup honey
In a separate bowl, combine:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached bread flour
- 1 tablespoon dough enhancer
- 1 tablespoon wheat gluten
- Combine the flour mixture into the mixing bowl. Mix until mostly blended. I use the dough hook on my Kitchen Aid.
- Cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon salt.
- When the 10 minutes is up, add the flour & salt to the dough. Mix well & knead for 8 minutes. If the dough is too wet and sticking to the bowl while kneading, add a little more flour of your choice.
- Divide dough in half. Spread evenly in 2 loaf pans (I use stoneware.) that have been sprayed with cooking spray. (Helpful hint: Rub small amount of shortening on your hands. It will keep the dough from sticking to you.)
- Cover with bread towels. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Cover with bread towels. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from pans. I place the loaves on a breadboard. Cover with bread towel. Allow to cool.
Makes 2 loaves.
You can adjust the ratio of wheat flour to bread flour to your liking. My family prefers the softness of 1/2 wheat flour, 1/2 bread flour.